Many elderly seniors feel alone, especially during the Christmas holidays, because they no longer have a family or are physically unable to visit friends and family. These seniors hold a special place in our hearts. Senior Christmas is a collaborative gifting effort that enables the friends and neighbors of the Brazos Valley to give hope, spread cheer, and make smiles happen for our seniors.
Each year we identify homebound and nursing home seniors who have very little or no contact with their families during the holidays and ask them for wish lists. We collect clothing, large print books, and other requested items. Volunteers assemble these items into gift bags and deliver them to nursing homes and residents throughout the Brazos Valley. Last year volunteers spent 300 hours assembling and delivering gifts to over 1,000 Brazos Valley seniors.
All Senior Christmas gifts are provided by donation only, and all work is performed by volunteers. In fact, 100% of all donated proceeds go directly towards gifts for seniors here in the Brazos Valley.
What items do you collect for Senior Christmas?
- Sleep wear
- Throw blankets
- Puzzles and games
- Large print books
- Sugar-free candy
What are some ways I can help?
Senior Christmas is a volunteer-run event, and we need lots and lots of help. Here are some of the ways you can help:
- Sponsor a fundraiser, collection event, or Angel Tree
- Sponsor a collection event
- Buy or make gifts for the seniors
- Make a donation for us to buy items in bulk
- Donate your time to assemble the gifts
- Deliver gifts to the nursing homes in your area
How do I sponsor an Angel Tree?
Set up a tree at your church, school, or place of business. We'll supply you with a set of Angel cards to hang on your tree. People can pick up a card, buy the gift, and return them to your tree. You can call us at any time to pick up gifts from your location.
- Each card will have a senior's name and one or two needs for Christmas, for example a size XL sweater.
- The back of each card will have instructions for where, when, and how to return the gift.
- Gifts need to have the angel card attached to the gift (either taped or tied).
- Gifts will be returned unwrapped.
We will give you as many or as few cards as you want. A public location may need 100 cards, and a small office may need 10.
Where can I drop off donations?
We will gladly accept your donations at
Brazos Valley Council of Governments
3991 East 29th St
Bryan, TX 77802
Can I pay by check?
Yes. If you would like to make a tax deductible donation by check, make your checks payable to Brazos 2020 Vision and mail them to the following address. We will gladly mail you a tax receipt.
Brazos 2020 Vision, Inc.
PO Box 4327
Bryan, TX 77805-4327